Patna High Court
The Patna High Court was founded on the 3rd of February, 1916 and later affiliated under the Government of India Act, in 1915. It is the highest seat of judiciary in the state of Bihar. Patna High Court is among the first few high courts of India. It is situated right at the heart of the City, off the Bailey road, opposite to Patna Women's College.
Founded on December 1, 1913 and opened by his Excellency the late Viceroy and Governor-General of India Sir Charles Hardinge of Penshurst Patna High Court building is a famous for its architecture and building. To much extent it resembles much like Allahabad High Court. During the days when Bihar and Orissa were under the Presidency of Bengal, the court of the entire region was the court of Bengal. However Bihar and Orissa were proclaimed as separate states on 22nd March 1912 by a proclamation issued by the Governor-General. It was then that the need for a High Court for this region was felt. Sir Justice Edward Maynard Des Champs Chemier was the first chief justice of Patna High Court.In 1972, a Circuit Bench of the Patna High Court was opened at Ranchi, which became a Permanent Bench in 1976. With the partition of Bihar and Jharkhand, in 2000, the Circuit Bench attained the status of Jharkhand High Court under Bihar Reorganization Act, 2000.
Architecture of Patna High Court
Patna High Court has earned lot of praises and appreciation. Thanks to the judgements that brought it into limelight. The concern raised by the court on the plight of a common man is still remembered by many notables. It is one of the first high courts to be computerized.
How to reach Patna High Court ?
Patna high court is located right at the centre of the City, off the Bailey road, opposite to Patna Women's College. It can be easily reached by autos, cycle rickshaw, private taxis, local buses etc.
Patna High Court
Bailey Road, Patna: 800001